Communication has the power to change the world by drawing global attention to an important issue or event. It can change the way a whole system works. The 1960 televised Presidential Debate between Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy is an example of this. Until that debate, Nixon was handily winning the election. The televised debate was not the first ever Presidential debate, but it was the first one to be broadcast on national television. This debate was supposed to be Nixonâ€™s crowning achievement that would ensure him the win. However, because of the hot cameras, Nixon began to sweat much more than JFK. Nixon was also coming off a bout of the flu and still did not look fully recovered. Thus, he ended up looking nervous, untrustworthy, and unhealthy to the television viewing audience. This debate became the turning point of the election that JFK went on to win. On TV that night, JFK simply looked more â€œpresidentialâ€. And TV changed the way the whole system of politics worked from then on. The political candidates needed to be very careful about how they looked on this fairly new household appliance. You can read more about this significant change in the article, â€œHow the Nixon-Kennedy Debate Changed the Worldâ€ located in the Week 6 Resources. In this Discussion, you will reflect on how another contemporary electronic communication technology has the potential to bring about change in different areas of society.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Think about the role electronic communication can have in changing society in some way, positively or negatively. This could be as big as the global society or as small as your local community or workplace.
- Read: Webley, K. (2010). How the Nixon-Kenney Debate Changed the World. Time U.S. Retrieved fromhttp://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2021078,00.html
- Go to theÂ COMM 1001 Library Course GuideÂ link from the Week 6 Learning Resources area:
- In the Week 6 Discussion window, click into the â€œProQuest Centralâ€ link.
- At the top of the page, find the â€œSearchâ€ box.
- In the search box, type your search terms (see below for suggestions) and hit â€œEnter.â€
- A list of links to articles that will cover a variety of topics within the subject you searched for will come up.
- Choose at least one article to read fully that talks about how that communication technology affected the world in some way (either positively or negatively).
- Read the Walden Student Handbook articles.
- Review theÂ Week 6 Discussion Rubric.
With these thoughts in mind, your assignment is to:
Post by Day 3Â a 200â€“300-word discussion. For this post you should:
- First, search ProQuest Central for recent (from the last ten years or so) articles that discuss the use of an electronic communication technology that has brought about positive or negative change to some specific area of society or even to the whole world.
Note about searching in ProQuest:Â An electronic communication technology includes programs, software and applications. In general, they may be used for the internet, computers, and cell phones. Thus, saying â€œthe Internetâ€ or â€œcell phonesâ€ is too broad. Think of more specific technological advances that promote communication, and perhaps are used through the internet or a cell phone, etc. An example might be the social media app, Foursquare. Thus, you would type â€œFoursquareâ€ into the search box in ProQuest Central. If your search is not narrow enough, giving you too many articles to weed through to find any that discuss how Foursquare may have changed some aspect of society, you may want to search for two terms together. For instance, you could type in â€œFoursquare AND change.â€ Or, â€œFoursquare AND communication.â€ You may NOT use Foursquare as your technology, please find your own example. But, you could try typing â€œcommunication technology AND changeâ€ into the search box. While this will give you many articles to weed through, it will also give you many more options for examples if you are having trouble thinking of an example of communication technology by yourself. If you are in doubt about whether you have chosen an appropriate communication technology, please consult your instructor.
- Using the article (or articles) you found about the recent electronic communication technology, explain:
- How the communication technology brought about positive or negative change in the area of society you chose to highlight.
- Why the change is positive or negative and what positive or negative impact it has had in that area of society.
- Be sure to quote the article(s) you found and apply at least one idea from it (them) in your post. Please credit these sources by following the â€œHow to Apply Terms, Module 2â€ document.
- In another paragraph answer the following questions:
- How might/did the change you described above impact you personally?
- How might/did it change the way you communicate or see communication?
- How would/did it change your perception of the world?
- How can you use this technology to create positive social change in your own community specifically? Even if the change you described was negative, describe how it can be used in a positive way.
- Correlate the Walden University outcome on social change to your description.
- Apply at least one idea from the articles assigned out of the Walden Student Handbook. Use the â€œHow to Apply Terms, Module 2â€ document to help you.
- Be sure to give examples as you discuss these questions.
Our Service Charter
Excellent Quality / 100% Plagiarism-FreeWe employ a number of measures to ensure top quality essays. The papers go through a system of quality control prior to delivery. We run plagiarism checks on each paper to ensure that they will be 100% plagiarism-free. So, only clean copies hit customers’ emails. We also never resell the papers completed by our writers. So, once it is checked using a plagiarism checker, the paper will be unique. Speaking of the academic writing standards, we will stick to the assignment brief given by the customer and assign the perfect writer. By saying “the perfect writer” we mean the one having an academic degree in the customer’s study field and positive feedback from other customers.
Free RevisionsWe keep the quality bar of all papers high. But in case you need some extra brilliance to the paper, here’s what to do. First of all, you can choose a top writer. It means that we will assign an expert with a degree in your subject. And secondly, you can rely on our editing services. Our editors will revise your papers, checking whether or not they comply with high standards of academic writing. In addition, editing entails adjusting content if it’s off the topic, adding more sources, refining the language style, and making sure the referencing style is followed.
Confidentiality / 100% No DisclosureWe make sure that clients’ personal data remains confidential and is not exploited for any purposes beyond those related to our services. We only ask you to provide us with the information that is required to produce the paper according to your writing needs. Please note that the payment info is protected as well. Feel free to refer to the support team for more information about our payment methods. The fact that you used our service is kept secret due to the advanced security standards. So, you can be sure that no one will find out that you got a paper from our writing service.
Money Back GuaranteeIf the writer doesn’t address all the questions on your assignment brief or the delivered paper appears to be off the topic, you can ask for a refund. Or, if it is applicable, you can opt in for free revision within 14-30 days, depending on your paper’s length. The revision or refund request should be sent within 14 days after delivery. The customer gets 100% money-back in case they haven't downloaded the paper. All approved refunds will be returned to the customer’s credit card or Bonus Balance in a form of store credit. Take a note that we will send an extra compensation if the customers goes with a store credit.
24/7 Customer SupportWe have a support team working 24/7 ready to give your issue concerning the order their immediate attention. If you have any questions about the ordering process, communication with the writer, payment options, feel free to join live chat. Be sure to get a fast response. They can also give you the exact price quote, taking into account the timing, desired academic level of the paper, and the number of pages.